10 packing tips you absolutely must know when moving house.
As the experts in the house removal business, we feel we are best placed to give you some advice on how to make that stress free move by yourself. Some of our tips will also hopefully help avoid some of those nasty injuries, which occur sometimes when people move
If you want us to give a free quote call 07775 075827 or email us. At Smart Carriers, we offer a full packing service and other options, including supplying you with all of the packing materials.
10 great packing tips for moving home. Let’s get started with ideas 1-6.
- Start packing as early as possible – Depending on the size of your house, you should start the packing process early. If you have a 1 bedroom house, then 1 month before your move day is about right. If you have a 3 bedroom house or more, then consider starting the packing process at least 2 months before move day.
- Packing one room at a time – If you pack early, try to do one room at a time. It will make life so much easier when you arrive at your new place.
- Get rid of stuff you don’t need before the move, not after – Don’t waste your time and pack everything, including stuff you just don’t need. Hire a skip or go to the local refuse site.
- Start with the room you least need – When you’re packing one room at a time, start with the rooms you use least. Remember to use bubble wrap to protect all of your belongings. We can supply packing materials as part of our moving services.
- Use all the box space – When packing your boxes make maximum use of the space available. If you can’t fill it, then use newspaper, bubble wrap or other packing materials, but try to use all the box space if possible. Unlike a move by a professional removal company, your items will not be fully insured under your home insurance. Smart Carriers can reduce that risk with our enhanced liability protection.
- Know your limits – Don’t overload your boxes? There’s a big difference between being able to lift a box and being able to move 20 or 30 boxes in one day without doing your back in. The risk of injury when moving home cannot be overestimated. During the packing process place light items in large boxes and heavier items in small boxes. If you cannot lift it without injury, it is unlikely that others can either.
10 packing tips for moving house: 7-10
- Label absolutely everything!!! – Labelling your boxes well is going to save your hours after the move.
Labellinghelps you find your belongings easily but it will alsomake it easier to ensure each box goes in the right room on arrival.
- Load your vehicle safely – It might sound obvious but fragile items
don’t go at thebottom of the van. A professional removal firm will always load heavy items at thebottom and the lighter items to the top. By contrast, people carrying out their own move tend to load in the order the boxes arrive at the van. Big mistake!
- Hazardous materials – Sooner or later you will come across items which dangerous to transport. Items you have to be particularly careful of, include gas cylinders for barbecues and petrol cans. Dispose of these items safely and at the correct location getting advice from local environmental services. A leading removal company, like ourselves, will be happy to advise you on this matter.
- Essential items – If you remember only one thing from our 10 packing tips when moving home, remember this. Whether you are using a professional removal company or doing the move yourself, remember to have separate boxes for key essential items. What we have found is people arrive at their new home and can’t find the “basics”. Basics are things like tea, coffee and milk, the kettle, toilet paper, toothbrushes and easy to cook meals. Basically, anything that you will need quickly in the first 48 hours of arriving. See our reviews here
We hope you found this useful.
If you want to choose Smart Carriers then call 01923 802 241 or 07775 075827 or if you found our 10 tips you must know when moving house useful then we wish you all the very best and a stressfree move.