The first of our 10 packing tips you must know when moving house. At Smart Carriers we offer a full packing service and other options, including supplying you with all of the packing materials. We can also offer a man with a van service, but as moving house is different for everyone. You may choose to go it alone and do it yourself, but remember you are not fully insured.
As the experts in the house removal business, we feel we are best placed to give you some advice on how to make that stress free move by yourself. Some of our tips will also hopefully help avoid any of those injuries, which occur sometimes when people move
10 packing tips for moving home. Let’s get started.
- Start packing early – Depending on the size of your house, you should start the packing process early. If you have a 1 bedroom house, then 1 month should be long enough. If you have a 3 bedroom house or more, then consider starting the packing process at least 2 months before move day.
- Packing one room at a time – If you pack early and do one room at a time, this applies a logical approach. Try not to pack everything, this is the time to be ruthless with items you don’t need. If you use a removal firm, then this will help them when they arrive at your new place.
- Get rid of stuff!! – Don’t waste your time and pack everything, including stuff you just don’t need. Hire a skip or go to the local refuge site and safely get rid of hazardous materials and items you don’t use.
- Start with the room you least need – When you are looking at packing one room at a time, then choose a room you use least. Remember to use bubble wrap to protect your belongings, which we can supply packing materials as part of our moving services.
- Use all the box space – When packing your boxes make use of the space you have. If you can fill it, then use newspaper, bubble wrap or packing materials. If you use this, it will reduce the risk of damage. Unlike a move by a removal company, your items would not be fully insured under your home insurance. Like most removal companies Smart Carriers can reduce that risk with our enhanced liability protection. Something to consider in the 10 packing tips you must know when moving house.
- Know your limits – What would it be like if you overloaded all your boxes? The risk of injury when moving home cannot be overestimated. During the packing process place light items in large boxes and heavier items in small boxes. If you cannot lift it without injury, it is unlikely others can either. This is an essential tip of our 10 packing tips you must know when moving house.
10 packing tips for moving house: 7-10
- Label everything!!! – Label your boxes is one
way ofhow to move home easily. If you don’t want to move everything, then considera removal and storage company. You can get free quotes on both ofthis at Smart Carriers. Labellinghelps you find your belongings, but alsoif a removal company helps, then place it in the correct room.
- Load your vehicle safely – Suppose you hadn’t
labelledyour boxes and one of your helpers put your fragile items at thebottom of the van. Consider how you load the boxes, as it is all welland good using bubble wrap. But if you put this fragile item at the bottom, then it could get damaged. A removal firm loads heavy items at thebottom and lighter items to the top. This helps with both the vehicle and your property. handlingof
- Hazardous materials – Sooner or later you will find you have items, which are either too dangerous to transport or you just don’t need them. Items you have to be particularly careful of, include gas cylinders for barbecues and petrol cans. Dispose of these items safely and at the correct location getting advice from local environmental services. A leading removal company, such as Smart Carriers can advise you on this matter.
- Essential items – If you forget everything else from our 10 packing tips you must know when moving home, then remember this. Whether you are using a professional removal company or doing yourself; remember to have separate boxes of key essential items. What we have found is people arrive at their new home and can’t find the “basics”. Suppose you did all the work yourself and couldn’t even have a cup of tea. See our reviews here
If you want to choose Smart Carriers then call 01923 802 241 or 07775 075827 or if you found our 10 tips you must know when moving house useful. Then we wish you good luck